So, it’s Sunday afternoon/evening, and you’re just full of anxiety and grumpiness? Yeah, I’m feeling that today. The “there’s never enough time” feeling or the “I hate that I have to do this instead of, oh, I don’t know, have a life and hobbies” feeling. Yes. I know it well today.
You have two options.
Option 1: Don’t do your work and enjoy your day/evening. Make it worth the misery you may feel tomorrow. Enjoy the heck out of your day!
Option 2: Do your work, and make it as painless as possible. Here are some ways to do that:
- Beverages. I always have a beverage while working. It’s often tea. My favorite teas brands are Yogi, Tazo, and Good Earth. Since I drink coffee in the mornings, I don’t often have caffeinated tea in the afternoon, but sometimes I just can’t resist some chai. Either way, have a yummy beverage to enjoy while you work.
- Background noise. I can’t work in total silence. I love instrumental music like Do Make Say Think, and have an entire Pandora station based on that band. I highly recommend. On days when I’m super stressed (today) and need legit distraction while I work, I watch Pride and Prejudice. Yes, I definitely watched it two weeks ago while grading as well. And no, I never get sick of it. It’s perfect because I love it, but I know it well, so I don’t have to pay attention to every single thing to enjoy it.
- Snacks. Need I say more? I’m not much of a snacker myself, but I know for some, snacks are more important than beverages. :)
- Comfortable place to sit, and comfortable clothes in which to sit in. Comfy couch and pajamas? That’s what I prefer. If you prefer your desk, do yo thang.
- Short term goals. Grade half a stack, take a break. Or, grade 5 papers and take a break. Whatever. Set a reasonable goal for the day that you’ll actually reach and can live with, and then set a “If I have more time to do that task, then great!” goal. Don’t set an unrealistic goal because that only sets you up for failure, which is highly unmotivating. You’ll likely not even get started because the task is so daunting. Be kind to yourself. :)